Every time I’m ready to book a conference, I ask the same question to myself: is it a good choice to go there? Are conferences useful?
I’m in the category of workers who do not go to conferences ‘for a living’ … so I choose them carefully and try to understand every time if it’s a good usage of my time and then of the money of my company.
I write here a list of reminders, being back from (a very short) participation to a conference, for next time.
Going to good conferences it is good because (in no particular order):
- you always learn new stuff
- you adjust your view on things you already know
- you compare yourself / your team / your company with others and learn from these differences
- you refresh some of your competences going back to the roots or enriching with ‘the new stuff’
- you meet often good people, and this is good by itself
- you have time to think: think of yourself / your team / your company
Do you want to add something else to the list to convince me to go next time? 🙂