Why does a manager scream in a typical meeting: ‘this project / activity / department / company is a mess‘ ?
I see two possible reasons:
- the project / activity / department / company IS a mess
- he personally doesn’t know enough about the project / activity / department / company, so it must be a mess
Point 1 is obvious, so I’ll focus on point 2.
Here are some random thoughts.
- For many: no knowledge = no control = no one can be in control = it’s a mess
- For many: trust is a good thing to manage a group … but not on my projects!
- For many: having a lot of paper / reports / dashboard means having control
- Communication is important: no matter if you are controlling your, for ex., project. If your boss doesn’t know much about it, it will always think you are not controlling it = it’s a mess
- Unknown is scary
Do you want to add more?